Last Updated on July 25, 2022 by Dr. Ali Shahid
Formerly known as the Lahore Veterinary College, the University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences is located in Lahore, Pakistan, hosting more than 20,000 students. Its main campus is located on Outfall Road near HBL.
As well as its main campus, the university has additional campuses in Pattoki and Jhang. It has a main campus in Lahore that was built more than a century ago, but there are now six other campuses of the institution:
- City Campus Lahore
- Ravi Campus Pattoki
- Avian Research & Training Center at Ferozepur Road
- College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences Jhang
- KBCMA College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Narowal
- Para Veterinary Institute in Karor Lal
The University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences
One of the earliest institutions of veterinary science and microbiology founded in India by Great Britain, it was established in 1882.
It has been ranked among the most prestigious and famous institutions in the field of Veterinary and Animal Sciences and conducts internationally recognized research in microbiology and human resource development.
The University was formerly affiliated with the University Of Agriculture, Faisalabad for a limited period, but in 2002 it became a separate entity.
Besides undergraduate programs, there are postgraduate and doctoral programs at the university in diverse topics such as animal health, food irradiation, security, and environmental protection.
In 2010, the Higher Education Commission (Pakistan) (HEC) ranked the university as one of the top universities in the “agriculture” category, as well as being ranked as one of the best institutions of higher education in Pakistan.
Punjab Government allocated about 1000 acres for the establishment of a sub-campus for research and education at Pattoki after the veterinary college was upgraded to university status in 2002.
University research and expertise are commercialized to increase university productivity and create job opportunities, as well as help the government.
University programs focus on reducing poverty, prospering, producing livestock, and training the next generation of graduates to fit the needs of the future.
- Faculty of Fisheries and Wildlife
- Faculty of Veterinary Sciences
- Faculty of Animal Production & Technology
- Faculty of Biosciences
- Business Management
- Faculty of Life Sciences
- Institute of Continuing Education & Extension
- Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Institute of Microbiology
- Institute of Biochemistry & Biotechnology
- Diagnostic Lab
- Quality Operations Lab
- Central Laboratory Complex
- Information Technology center
- Bioequivalence Study Center
- Pet Center
- Business Incubation Center
Undergraduate Programs at City Campus
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (City/Ravi Campus)
- Doctor of Pharmacy
- BS (Hons.) Medical lab technology
- BS (Hons.) Nutrition & Dietetics
- BS (Hons.) Biochemistry
- BS (Hons.) Food Science and Technology
- BS (Hons.) Environmental Sciences
- BS (Hons.) Applied Microbiology
- BS (Hons.) Biotechnology
- BS (Hons.) Biological Sciences
- MBA (Executive)(Evening) (2 Year)
- MBA Life Sciences (3.5 Year)
- MBA Banking & Finance (3.5 Year)
- BBA (Hons)
Undergraduate Degrees Program at Ravi Campus
- BS (Hons.) Dairy Technology
- BS (Hons.) Fisheries and Aquaculture
- BS (Hons.) Zoology
- BS (Hons.) Medical Lab Technology
- BS (Hons.) Poultry Science
- BS (Hons.) Botany
- BS (Hons.) Biological Sciences
M. Phil Program
- Anatomy and Histology
- Wildlife and Ecology
- Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Biochemistry Forensic Sciences
- Clinical Medicine and Surgery (Medicine)
- Clinical Medicine and Surgery (Surgery)
- Epidemiology and Public Health
- Food and Nutrition (Human Nutrition)
- Poultry Production Livestock Production (Animal Breeding and Genetics)
- Food and Nutrition (Animal Nutrition)
- Livestock Production (Livestock Management)
- Dairy Technology
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Molecular Biology
- Clinical Medicine
- Animal Nutrition
- Livestock Management
Pet Center of UVAS
Since becoming a university in 2002, the college has been running the Pet Centre, which is Asia’s first and oldest Teaching Hospital. In the past, only dogs and cats were provided with indoor & outdoor treatment facilities in the dog hospital.
Besides small animals and avian animals, the Center also offers full-time facilities for wildlife, exotic animals, and birds as well.
A total of two hospitals have been established within the hospital, namely the Feline and Canine Hospitals (which operate in separate buildings).
There has also been an increase in the number of technical staff members at the hospital which is due to the increasing number of patients who are visiting the hospital to receive treatment.
The center is run under the supervision of six employees who are specialists in the subject matter in question. It is because of these provisions that the center can do its best to serve the patients and the pet owners around the clock.
Besides medicine and surgery, the center is equipped with a wide range of diagnostic equipment and emergency care facilities.
- Hospital Services are available 24/7
- Emergency and Critical Care
- Digital Radiography (X-rays)
- Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
- Video Gastroscopy
- Soft Tissue Surgery
- Hard tissue Orthopedic Surgery
- Chemotherapy of Cancer Patients
- Indoor Admission Facility for Dogs
- Admission facility for cats
- Ticks Control Program
- Pet Owner Education programs
Non-Academic Activities in UVAS
It should be noted that UVAS has several societies, among them the Blood and Donor Society, Still and Film Society, as well as The Artistry Hub. The non-academic societies offer a variety of non-academic activities like Gola day to keep the student’s mind fresh
A lot of music concerts are held here, as well as literary festivals, sports days, and the inter-departmental spring festival.
Additionally, the university sponsors these events to encourage our societies to host them.
It is advisable to check the official website of the university or to contact the university administration office for details regarding admission guidelines.
Achievements of University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences
The University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences has many achievements to its credit. Recently, the department of theriogenology along with the department of animal genetics has successfully produced a calf through embryo transplant.
Also, during the Corona pandemic, the university provided testing services for Corona victims.
Furthermore, they have been able to secure several research projects with international organizations aimed at making vaccines and improving the genetics of the local buffalo breed.
Higher Education has ranked UVAS among the 1200 best universities in the world. It ranked between 400 and 500 in Asia.
Dr. Ali Shahid is a veterinarian by profession and CEO at provets. He loves to treat animals and has great expertise in veterinary products. Our aim is to provide the best information related to your animal health.